Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Change of Focus

Man, lately it seems like I've been on the bad end of variance. Tonight, I was playing $1-$2 NLH at Caesars. It was a good night for my friends JG and AG because they're fairly new to poker; one came out even, and the other was ahead. When starting to play, it's always nice to have winning sessions. I've read, and have been told, that you should be happy with your play so long as you make correct decisions. This follows the thought that so long as you do the right thing, the money will come in the long run. I believe this is true, but, a poker player still needs to make money.

I laid down my TT when I ran up against an overpair. I laid down KK when I knew I was beat. I made good reads all night, only to lose my stack to some donk who couldn't lay down the worst hand (and caught 2 pair on the river).

I should probably shift to tournament poker until I can rebuild my stack. I needed to rebuy and sit and crush the (few) donks at my table, but my bankroll isn't there anymore. I only had one bullet. In tournament play, one can apply pressure to a player better than in a cash game (IMHO) because, in a cash game, players can buy back in if they can afford it. Also, for a little money, you can win a lot if you have the skill.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I'll be back Saturday!!!

BTW: Good luck to AA who is playing a PL Omaha Hi/Lo FullTilt Fantasy Freeroll Championship. He's the chip leader. Also congrats to AG and JG for their winnings tonight!

No comments: