Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 1 2008 WSOP Circuit @ Horseshoe: Walk of Shame

Yesterday (10/3) was the first day of the fall WSOP event at the Horseshoe. All of the conditions were set for a great day at the tables. They opened a new $1-2NLH table and I was one of the first to sit. I was full stacked. There were multiple people sitting at the table with small stacks and white chips. Everything was seemingly perfect... except the cards that were dealt.

Under the gun, I was dealt KsQs. I chose not to raise since the table was new and we had only played a few hands with each other. 2 limp behind me to this guy named "Max," who raises to $10. The guy (herein, cowboy), sitting to the left of Max calls, BB calls, and I call. All others fold to Max. $50 in the pot. Flop comes with a disjoint 3 spades (at the time, I couldn't make out the cards... stupid contacts). I check. Max bets $30. Cowboy re-raises to $60. Quick thinking, I put one of them on a naked As, and the other on a set. I call and Max calls. Turn comes red. I check again. Max bets. Cowboy pushes all-in. I have him covered with the 2nd nut flush, so I call. Max goes into the tank. Once he goes into the tank, everything seems to fall into place. Max has the set and is wondering whether he should draw to the boat. I now begin to think cowboy has a made nut flush, but it's too late. Max folds, and cowboy shows As2s. This, dear friends, is when I go on tilt.

Many of you who I play with know that I don't tilt like the stereotypical "tilter." I don't yell or scream, or call people names. Instead, I focus on you and try to beat you, and you alone. Bad idea. In poker, I've learned that many *perfect storm* situations come up, and you just have to hope that you're on the winning end of the storm. Sometimes you are, sometimes you're not. But, when you're on the bad end of the perfect storm, it's not the fault of the person playing you, nor is it your fault. Instead, it's just the way the cards land. That's it and that's all.

I was on tilt. Learn from my mistake; don't change your gameplan. You still need to play opposites, and play situational poker. Win money regardless of who or where it came from. Cowboy was an aggressive, and instead of playing him tight, I tried to out-aggressive him (is out-aggressive even a viable English phrase?). He was a decent enough player that he knew how to put me to the test. He made the right moves to make me fold the best hand (AK high v. 777), and put all my money in when I had the worst of it (donkey straight v. QQ77). Am I mad at him? No. I'm frustrated that I let one hand throw my game off. I went against a lot of the things that I've wrote about in the past. And, I went into the game knowing that I hadn't played in weeks. My skills are rusty to say the least, and I let myself get away from good, fundamental situational play.

What's the remedy? Well, I think it's twofold. First and foremost, if I want to get back to the level I was at 2 years ago, I need to play more hands. I need to play 3-4 times per week. Maybe I should start going to the freerolls again. Second, I need to get back to fundamental play. Play patiently. Know the situation and play the situation. Play the player. I think my fundamental poker is good, but rusty. If you look at the last sentence in the first paragraph, you'll see my problem. "...except the cards that were dealt..." The cards that are dealt are meaningless. You know that, I know that, and I preach that. Unfortunately for me and my ever-shrinking bankroll, I've reverted to Level 1 Poker. That's ok, though. Now that I know where I am, I can start rebuilding.

A couple of side notes. First, congrats to my new poker friend, "Stone." He has been working on his game for the past 6-7 weeks, and is now starting to reap the benefits. He was out last evening playing $4-8LH and beat the game for about $120. Nicely done!

Also, it seems that the state of KY is attempting to ban online poker. The PPA has sent the following email to all PPA members:

As you know, Kentucky is attempting to seize the domain names of 141 Internet poker and Internet gambling websites. This seizure could result in the state blocking your access to your favorite poker sites! The PPA has been engaged in the fight against this action from the start, and now others are joining the effort.

On Monday, the non-partisan Bluegrass Institute is hosting an "Emergency Summit" in Frankfort to discuss the dangerous and far-reaching implications of the state's action. The PPA and others groups, including the Internet Commerce Association and Americans for Tax Reform, will participate in this important meeting. It is open to the public, so I hope you will attend to show your support for poker and to learn how you will be affected if the state is successful in its action.

When: Monday, October 6th at 1:00 pm

Where: Capital Plaza Hotel – Frankfort
405 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort, KY 40601

Who: Bluegrass Institute
The Poker Players Alliance
Internet Commerce Association
Interactive Media Entertainment & Gaming Assoc.
Americans for Tax Reform

Others expected to participate but not yet confirmed.

RSVP by email: kysummit |at| pokerplayersalliance dot org

The PPA also invites you to attend the court hearing on Tuesday. Several PPA members attended the previous hearing on Sept. 26th, and their presence had a big impact. The hearing is open to the public, so let’s fill the courtroom with poker supporters!

When: Tuesday, October 7th at 9:30am

Where: The Franklin County Courthouse
218 St. Clair Street
Frankfort, KY 40601


I know you are busy, but your attendance at both of these events is important to show Kentucky that we care about our rights. I hope you will join the PPA at these events next week.

For all the latest news and updates, check out this special PPA page: http://pokerplayersalliance.org/special/kentucky-poker

That's all for today. Good luck at the tables!

2 comments:

David and Jill said...

I can attest to the situational poker and playing opposites. I played a tournament a couple of weeks ago, and placed second. I actually was playing at the same table with the eventual winner early on, and I recognized him as a good player very quickly. I realized that I could take chips off other players, though, and focused on them instead.

If you've identified yourself as not the best player at the table, but not the worst, pick on the worst players until they go broke. As soon as they all leave, get up and find another table of suckers.

As Kanish said in Rounders, "This isn't about the thrill of victory. This is about money."

Unknown said...

Feel good......